convallis mauris erat
Double-click to edit text, or drag to move.
+JULY 3RD was great. Thanks to all attending,
Donating items, & work. Good time HAD BY ATTENDEES.
+HOPE EVERYONE STAYING COOL.
+REMEMBER ON JULY 19TH IS YEARLY MEMBERSHIP MEETING. PLEASE TRY TO ATTEND.
+Museum has a small for sale section. Items currently for sale/donation are fig preserves, bells,PHS warrior license tags, & craft items and dolls. Note cards and framed pictures will be by order only currently. Perhaps your have craft items and home canned vegetables which you could donate? July special sale is warrior tags--2 for $15.
+Special thanks to those donating nails, screwdrivers. & assorted items
REMEMBER THOSE DAYS
*no computers, TV, TELEPHONE/CELL PHONES, OR EVEN ELECTRICITY.
*churches did not have ac & fan on stick provided by local businesses
*Not wearing shoes in summer
*SMELL AFTER A THUNDER STORM
*Going to the “lost colony” & the ferries
*Seeing ATLANTIC ocean for first time
*SWIMMING IN RIVER OR CREEK
*No day light saving time
*bible school was only in the morning
*SLEEPING on FLOOR IN SUMMER ON “PALLET”
*LUNCH WAS AT SCHOOL BUT AT HOME HAD BREAKFAST, DINNER, AND SUPPER.
*HURRICANES & DAYS WITHOUT ELECTRICITY
Rosa Gray Hamilton
HISTORY OF Pantego high school
Written for 1949 PHS reunion
The section of land known as Pantego originally comprised three hundred acres. It was bought by Phineas and Rothius Latham from the Lord’s Proprietors in 1774-1775 at a price of sixty pounds in English money, or the present equivalent of about three hundred dollars. The land lay on the north bank of Pantego Creek and was given the name Pantego, a name derived from an Indian tribe once indigenous to the territory.
After a period, Phineas and Rothius Latham sold this land to Thomas and Daniel Latham. Later, Thomas sold his tract in small pieces to different people. The site of the old school building is one of the tracts of land that Daniel Latham sold.
In order to provide some means of education, the people chiefly farmers, finally organized and built somewhere near the present residence of Mrs. Thompson, a large store, called the Grange Store. Their capital was invested in a stock of goods and the income thus derived was used toward building a school.
The second story of the Grange Store was known as the Grange Hall. Festivals were held in this hall, and the proceeds went also for the building of the school house. The most popular amusement at the festivals then, as now, was dancing. Tournaments also were run, followed by the crowning of the festival queen and the tournament dance.
Finally, in 1874, the Pantego Educational Association was formed with Geo. D. Old, Pres.; W. J. Crumpler, Secretary.; and Walter Clark, Treasurer. These, along with Jordan Wilkinson, H. L. Davis, E. S. Ratcliffe, P. H. Johnson, Dr. W. J. Bullock, M. J. Whitley, J. T. Adams, Noah Bell, W. B. Windley and R. H. Shavender, all of whom were Trustees, constituted the Board of Directors. This group of men, together with about ten others, were the stockholders of the association. They bought shares at $10.00 per share---enough to make a capital of approximately $600.00.
The Building Committee agreed that the dimensions of the Academy should be 45 feet long, 30 feet wide, two stories, with a pitch of 11 feet below and 10 feet above.
The Trustees elected E. G. Conyers of Toisnot, NC, as principal, but they thought his price of $800.00 per year too high. So, Henderson Snell of Scuppernong was employed. There were twenty seven paid tuitions the first semester. These increased as the years went by.In 1877, November 10th, the Association received a deed from Walter Clark and wife, Augusta E., for one acre of land on which the Academy was built and that same year “in accordance with law, John G. Blount, superior court clerk and probate judge of Beaufort County, ordered a meeting of the stockholders of the Pantego Educational Association for the purpose of incorporating the association.”
In 1878 the building was painted by one William Low for $1.15 a day and board. M. J. Phillips and W. J. Crumpler were to make a sample desk for $2.00. These desks were later purchased in lots of one dozen as the money became available.
In 1879 a group of young ladies raised enough money to purchase a bell and the principal was authorized to obtain one weighing one hundred pounds. Dr. Snell was still principal, with Miss Martha Whitley as his assistant. Her salary was $10.00 per month, and tuition for her three sisters without charge. The principal’s salary was $40.00 per month. The following year, music was taught for $12.50 per session. Miss Ebbie B. Wilkinson was employed during the afternoon as teacher for $7.00 per month. Dr. Snell advertised the school in the “North Carolina Prep” and sent out circulars. At the close of school, the commencement exercises were to be “a public exhibition with a prominent speaker."
John L. Ratcliff, III
TO BE CONTINUED NEXT TIME WITH SOME ADDED INFORMATION ABOUT ASSOCIATE PRINCIPAL KATE RENNOLDS BECKWITH JUST DISCOVERED THIS WEEK.
MUSEUM HAS A FEW BOOKS FROM THIS TIME PERIOD & REPORT CARD FROM 1879
DR. HENDERSON SNELL WAS A ONE LEGGED MEDICAL DOCTOR FROM SCUPPERNONG (COLUMBIA) IN TYRRELL COUNTY
HATS OFF TO PHS CLASS OF 1959
CLASS COLORS: RED & WHITE
CLASS FLOWER: RED ROSE
MYRTLE CAROWAN & ROBERT SMITH
ANNETTA ALLEN, BILLY ALLEN, BRENDA ALLEN, JANICE ASKEW, THELMA ASKEW, J. B. BELL, EDGAR BRYAN, DELORES COX, RUSSELL CUTLER, TOMMY GRAY, MARIE KEECH, NANCY KEECH, JOSEPHINE LANIER, LESSIE LANIER, JIMMY LINTON, ANN MODLIN, BRENDA OVERTON, FERNIE OLIVER, HAROLD RADCLIFF, JOHNNY RESPESS, NOLAN RESPESS, CAROL SLOT, DONALD STOKESBERRY, LORA LEE STOKESBERRY, SUSIE TINGLE, ROLAND TOOLEY, PAULINE VAN DYK, JAMES WATERS, TED WATERS, GARY WILLIAMS, JIMMY WINDLEY
PHS FACULITY IN 1959
GLADYS LOLLIS, MYRTLE CAROWAN, SYBIL AHEARN, ROBERT SMITH, LANE KINION, JAMES KINION, H. D. EPTING, HELEN BYRUM
RUTH JONES, HAZEL TAYLOR, SARAH RADCLIFFE, VIOLA JARVIS, MARGARET JACKSON, BETTY LONG, RENA HAMILTON, MILDRED AYCOCK, LILLIAN ALLEN, MARY COOPER, LAURA PAYNE
WRALTV IN RALEIGH FEATURED ACADEMY RECENTLY ON TAR HEEL TRAVELER. THIS CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.WRALTV. COM . CURRENTLY THIS CAN ONLY FOUND AT WRAL’S SITE. HOPEFULLY SOON ACADEMY WILL HAVE A COPY. A NUMBER OF VISITS HAVE COME DUE TO THIS PROGRAM. THANKS TO FRANK WHITLEY AND SCOTT MASON FOR THIS PROGRAM.
TRIVIA QUESTION: HOW MANY STEPS ARE ON THE ACADEMY’S ONE OF A KIND IN THE WORLD STAIRCASE? ASK LONNIE STOKESBERRY..HE COUNTED THE NUMBER OF STEPS FOR TV PROGRAM.
PANTEGO JAIL HAS BEEN MOVED TO ACADEMY SITE. MOVING WAS PAID BY TOWN OF PANTEGO. EXACT AGE OF JAIL IS UNKNOWN, BUT THOUGHT PRE 1900. MEMBERS WILL TACKLE PAINTING JAIL IN COOLER WEATHER. THE BUILDING IS IN ORIGINAL DESIGN EXCEPT INTERIOR PARTITION HAS BEEN REMOVED.